[c-nsp] Re: [j-nsp] load balancing between multiple BGP links

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Sep 14 11:41:56 EDT 2005

Alok <> wrote on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 3:42 PM:

> Perhaps "per packet" with BGP link bandwidth would be good infact  i
> think.. .
> or perhaps for flow based, flow setup based on "actual util at the
> time of setup".... though nothing still seems to beat per packet :-)
> with link bandwidth i guess...

I think we're past using the current link utilization for any routing protocol metrics calculation. (E)IGRP has this option (disabled by default), but it caused many issues with oszillating traffic/etc, as far as I recall.

There is OER (for enterprise networks) which tries to do some form of load-sharing, but this doesn't scale to be used in ISP networks.

	oli