[c-nsp] Frame Circuit Not Cooperating

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Sep 14 23:39:18 EDT 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>> So ask the telco to give you a hard loop from any test point between
>> your demark and before the frame switch.  Change the encaps on the
>> circuit to hdlc, and ping yourself with large numbers of large packets
>> of various patterns (extended ping).  If part of the smartjack is bad,
>> that should detect it.
>
> The problem isn't detecting the smartjack is bad.  I already know that.
> The problem is getting the telco to agree that it is bad.  In any case
> your suggestion is incomplete since you first have to hard loop
> the T1 port on the router with a loopback plug, do your pinging,

Well, duh!  You do have to test each part if you want to eliminate things,
but where you start is up to you.  If you've already replaced your end of
the hardware (several times, as I think he said), then odds are pretty
good it's not your hardware.

> telco loop to you.  Even so, it's pointless since the Telco will just
> keep insisting that it's your CSU/Wiring/planetary alignment/cosmic
> rays, or about anything else possible to avoid having to send a tech
> out on their dime.
>
> Maybe the telcos you deal with are willing to take what you say on

Bellsouth, Sprint, Verizon, a number of lesser known CLECs.  Once you're
confident enough that the problem is definitely the LECs part of the
circuit, just tell them you want a T1 tester dispatched and if they find
the problem is in your stuff, you'll pay.  Unless you've skipped testing
some part of the equation, you're not going to be out any $.

> He said he's getting errors on the circuit, that's not a CIR issue.

I missed that at the very bottom of the original post but saw that he was
simply losing packets at the top of the message.  I see now, he said the
LEC is seeing receive errors on their end.