[c-nsp] L2TPv3 vs. VPLS

Tantsura, Jeff jtantsura at ugceurope.com
Tue Sep 20 11:08:01 EDT 2005

Vincent,

Non flexible VC topology
Burden of a full mesh of VC LSP on control plane for big networks
Hierarchical topology defined in draft (H-VPLS)
But hub & spoke topology required between 2nd and first level nodes

Multicast/Broadcast optimization
Mcast/Bcast replication generates load on MPLS Core
Would be great if frames were multicasted natively in MPLS Core
VPN Autodiscovery :

Burden of Provisioning of full mesh VC LSP
3 Drafts (LDP, Radius, BGP)
Still nothing implemented
(besides full BGP framework on Juniper ...)

VPN OAM
Point to multipoint L2 VPN quite hard to manage (collection of circuits)
VPLS testing defined in draft-stokes-vkompella-ppvpn-hvpls-oam
Still no implementation available

--
Jeff Tantsura  CCIE# 11416
Senior IP Network Engineer