[c-nsp] L2TPv3 vs. VPLS

Tantsura, Jeff jtantsura at ugceurope.com
Tue Sep 20 11:22:07 EDT 2005

VPLS Implementations

There are two leading VPLS drafts currently being discussed in the IETF that
the majority
of vendors are considering from an implementation perspective. The first is
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kompella-ppvpn-vpls-01.txt,
called "draft Kompella," submitted by Kireeti Kompella.
The second is
http://www.ietf.org/internetdrafts/draft-lasserre-vkompella-ppvpn-vpls-02.tx
t, called "draft Lasserre-Vkompella," submitted by Mark Lasserre and Vach
Kompella.

Each of these three models can be described in turn by two fundamental
characteristics:
-Auto-Discovery-What method is used that enables multiple provider edge
routers(PE) participating in a VPLS domain to find each other.
-Signaling-What protocol is used to set up MPLS tunnels and distribute
labels between PEs for packet demultiplexing purpose.

VPLS Implementation Model Discovery Signalling
Draft Kompella 		      BGP       BGP
Draft Lasserre-Vkompella	None      LDP

To make long story short Juniper uses first draft
Cisco uses second

P.S. It's really fan to see Kireeti and Vach Kompella talking about this
stuff :)

--
Jeff Tantsura  CCIE# 11416
Senior IP Network Engineer