[c-nsp] PA-2FE-TX using both ports kills module

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Sep 26 02:34:49 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 10:22:28AM +1200, Nikolai Schupbach wrote:
> >Does it work if you run port 1 as "single port"?  Or only "port 0"?
> It works fine if I use either port, as long as I don't use both ports
> simultaneously.

Interesting.  This is not exactly the same problem we've been observing,
but then, I've only done limited testing in the 7200s - mainly 7500/VIP2.

> >All reports seen here in this list that had issues with PA-2FE-TXs have
> >HW rev 1.00 / board revision B0.
> >
> >We swapped the faulty one in our 7200 to a PA-2FE-TX with revision C0,
> >and both ports are working perfectly well now...
> >
> So it looks like a hardware problem with these revisions? Why is there
> no TAC advisory about this? There must be a lot of cards floating around
> with this problem.

>From what I gather on this list, it's biting a number of people, but not
enough can open TAC cases so that something is done officially.

Rodney has tried to track this down but so far not been successful
(as far as I know) which might be related to it only happening with
very specific production series.

> >It would be perfect if you could open a TAC case on this, so this could
> >finally be tracked down (we can't right now).
> I would like to, but I don't currently have a maintenance contract on
> this router.

That seems to be a common problem...  (neither can I, for the routers
affected).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de