[c-nsp] SSO on 65 support mcast?

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
Thu Sep 29 10:28:40 EDT 2005

Ok, this from
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper0900aecd801c5cd7.shtml
:

 "MMLS NSF with SSO enables the system to maintain multicast forwarding
state in the PFC3 and DFC3 hardware during a supervisor-engine switchover,
minimizing multicast service interruption. Prior to MMLS NSF with SSO, the
multicast forwarding entries were not synchronized to the standby
supervisor engine. The NSF with SSO switchover time is 0 to 3 seconds for
Layer 2-4 unicast or multicast traffic."

The 'maintain multicast forwarding state' makes it sound like it's normal
NSF, with 0 to 3 seconds before the table's recalculated and verified by
the new master. Is my understanding flawed here? And if so, then what
failover time am I expecting with PIM-SM and IGMPv2 on default timers?

Also, if you're aware, what's the likely difference between this and the
3750's implementation of NSF? I realise that's only capable of RPR+,
meaning any routing updates should be ignored for 30-60 seconds, but does
it (also?) experience outage with the mcast forwarding table?

Thanks (hopefully)
Christian

Internet
tstevens at cisco.com
28/09/2005 21:27

Christian MACNEVIN, cisco-nsp
cc

Subject
Re: [c-nsp] SSO on 65 support mcast?

Multicast is supported for SSO in 18SXD and later. It is a "single
box" solution - NOT like NSF for unicast. There are no triggered PIM
joins or other interbox facilities associated with it. Also, there is
a "hold time" after the switchover where any new multicast streams
will be switched by software not hardware (existing streams continue
getting h/w switching, and host joins/leaves are still processed via
igmp snooping).

The feature name is "MMLS NSF/SSO". Don't let the "NSF" part fool you
though, per the above.

Tim

At 02:21 AM 9/28/2005, christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com pronounced:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759