[c-nsp] SSO on 65 support mcast?

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Thu Sep 29 13:19:03 EDT 2005

At 07:28 AM 9/29/2005, christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com pronounced:

>Ok, this from
>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper0900aecd801c5cd7.shtml
>:
>
>  "MMLS NSF with SSO enables the system to maintain multicast
> forwarding state in the PFC3 and DFC3 hardware during a
> supervisor-engine switchover, minimizing multicast service
> interruption. Prior to MMLS NSF with SSO, the multicast forwarding
> entries were not synchronized to the standby supervisor engine. The
> NSF with SSO switchover time is 0 to 3 seconds for Layer 2-4
> unicast or multicast traffic."
>
>The 'maintain multicast forwarding state' makes it sound like it's
>normal NSF, with 0 to 3 seconds before the table's recalculated and
>verified by the new master. Is my understanding flawed here? And if
>so, then what failover time am I expecting with PIM-SM and IGMPv2 on
>default timers?

So the 1st problem is the general confusion around the 2 terms, "NSF"
and "SSO". Ask 10 different people what they are and you'll end up
with 10 different definitions.

My answer is platform specific, ie, 6500, cuz I don't know the
details of all the other platforms: SSO is the act of maintaining the
critical hardware fwding information across a sup switchover. So FIB,
ADJ, L2 tables, ACL/QoS TCAM, etc. (ie, most everything in the
PFC/DFCs). In 6500, this also includes some s/w data structures as
well (various software copies of tables). Most of what we do there is
a function of what IOS does generically.

NSF on the other hand (again, IMO) refers to the "graceful restart"
capabilities in the routing protocols. So the ability to inform your
routing peers that a s/o happened so don't tear down the old
adjacency and please update me ASAP with all the latest & greatest info.

So for multicast, we have SSO per the above definition, but not NSF
(there is no specific new interbox communication here, we just rely
on all the usual periodic stuff like PIM hellos, joins/prunes, IGMP
joins/leaves, etc to rebuild state). All the multicast FIB & ADJ &
MET & snooping stuff is kept in the h/w & we keep on fwding using that.

But at the s/w level, the state is pretty much completely recreated
from scratch. That's the holdtime that I mentioned - the time we wait
to make sure mcast state is fully restored. Then we start refreshing
the h/w fwding entries.

But the failover time is still 0-3 seconds, same as unicast.

>Also, if you're aware, what's the likely difference between this and
>the 3750's implementation of NSF? I realise that's only capable of
>RPR+, meaning any routing updates should be ignored for 30-60
>seconds, but does it (also?) experience outage with the mcast
>forwarding table?

So I don't know much about this platform (well I know more than I let
on but I don't like to pretend to be an authority here... ;), but a
quick google search turns up this phrase, "NSF awareness", and that
is code for - "capable of 'refreshing' another NSF router with the
latest & greatest info (as above), but NOT having redundant sups or
processors where you can do a stateful switchover and maintain fwding
after the failure." To put it another way, the RPs are graceful
restart aware so if a 6500 or other router signals a NSF/SSO
switchover, the 3750 can update the new sup w/the latest info. Which
is something not every router can do.

HTH,
Tim