[c-nsp] Smallest router that supports GigE over MM fibre

Kristofer Sigurdsson kristo at ipf.is
Fri Sep 30 05:46:38 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 12:19 +0300, Andris Zarins wrote:
> I'd look towards some 3560 series switch, not router. If all you need is
> to route/switch approx 200m of traffic and support OSPF - perhaps switch
> would be much better choice, not router, especially - because of modular
> GBIC interfaces.

I agree.  If you don't need any advanced router functions, a switch
would be your best bet.

> If you insist on 'router' - perhaps you should look at 2821 series
> boxes. They have 2 on-board 10/100/1000 cooper interfaces (in this case
> you would need some cooper/mm-fiber transceiver), and will easily route
> 200 or more mbits.

A 2821 *will not* route 200 Mbit/s.  You might be able to squeeze that
out of a 2851, but it would be at 100% CPU load.  Your monitoring would
probably be unreliable due to load, even administrative access could be
a problem during that kind of load.  I wouldn't really count on OSPF
adjacencies staying up...

I'd buy a second-hand 7200VXR, NPE-400 (if a switch is not an option),
those come fairly cheap on eBay.

--
Kristófer Sigurðsson           Tel: +354 414 1600
Netrekstur/Network Operations  IP Fjarskipti ehf.