[c-nsp] 7600 question

Alexander Koch efraim at clues.de
Fri Sep 30 10:15:21 EDT 2005

Hiya folks,

for an external project let me ask some 7600 question(s)...

1. If we want to (ab)use a 7600 as a router we are looking
for it be able to hold 300,000 FIB + 1,500,000 RIB entries
simple as that box might hold several full tables, etc., and
also last some years. That are rough numbers... and should
not be out of reach. Also what chassis should we (not) take
to really have 10G Ethernet linerate between cards, etc.,
and also what Supervisor would be advisable here?

2. If we were to use any 76xx as a L2 switch what (or 65xx
rather) what would be a good chassis (as L2 switching is
done between the cards if I am not completely mixing this
up)? Obviously some stuff would have to be less sized as the
above example.

In both setups we speak of 2 4x10G and 2 48xGE cards.

Shoot, but let me live. ;-)

Thanks in advance,
Alexander