[c-nsp] remote cisco 7301 RAM upgrade

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Sep 30 13:01:09 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 12:51:39PM -0400, Joe Abley wrote:
> There's a remote c7301 of my acquaintance which has 256MB of RAM; I
> need to upgrade that to at least 512MB.
>
> I read that the 7301 has two slots for RAM. However, I can't tell
> whether the router in question has 1 x 256MB stick in it right now
> (in which case I just need an additional 256MB stick) or whether it
> has 2 x 128MB in it (in which case I need 1 x 512MB, or 2 x 256MB
> sticks).

As far as I understand the documentation, the 7301 and NPE-G1 both
take their memory in identical pairs of modules - so 256 would
be 2x128, and for 512 you need 2x256...

(I'm not very happy about this fact, as it means you can't easily add
memory, but have to replace it and throw away the old modules)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de