[c-nsp] mpls-te - dynamic latency?

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
Tue Apr 4 13:15:26 EDT 2006

Well, we'll be migrating from eigrp, not ospf, so yes, we do need is-is :)

And as far as ds-te goes, I guess I need to understand that feature a
little better to comment whether I feel I need
it just yet, But the end goal (whether it's that feature or not) is that
we'd the tunnel to be as visible to the routing
protocol as poss (autoroute i guess) and be routing traffic into those
tunnels based on dscp markings. If I can
avoid 'invisible' mechanisms like pbr, than I will.

Also, it's not just a matter of making sure the low latency path is
chosen, but that non-latency-dependent traffic
will use the other link.

As for using the affinity bits, cheers, I'll look more into that.

Thanks,
Christian.

Internet
oboehmer at cisco.com

04/04/2006 17:46

Christian MACNEVIN, cisco-nsp
cc

Subject
RE: [c-nsp] mpls-te - dynamic latency?

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com <> wrote on Tuesday, April 04, 2006
5:16 PM:

> Hi folks,
>
> We're just looking into mpls-te to ensure low latency paths are taken
> by the relevant traffic in our network,
> We have an mpls core (sorry, I always have to make this disclaimer,
> 99% of people don't believe that any
> financial would ever see the point) and will most likely be
> transitioning to is-is to make it happen.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with doing this? I'm looking to use
> DS-TE and I'd really prefer to keep the
> tunnel building dynamic and avoid building hundreds of explicit
> tunnels.
> I'm guessing this might require weighting path selection for low and
high
> latency paths based on igp tagging.

suggesting some TE design is difficult without knowing the topology, but
I'd look at affinity/attribute flags (mpls traffic-eng attribute-flags
xxxx) and then use appropriate "tunnel mpls traffic-eng affinity" on the
tunnel to tell CSPF to dynamically find a path crossing only the
"colored" links. Then you can use PBR to direct your voice traffic
towards the tunnel.

I don't think you need ISIS for this to work, OSPF should work just as
well.

Not sure if you need DS-TE for this job..

                 oli

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority