[c-nsp] oam-pvc manage

Chris Cappuccio chris at nmedia.net
Tue Apr 4 23:56:53 EDT 2006

I use it with ADSL customers who have a range of modems, but mostly cisco
678s, netopia something or other, and actiontec gt701s.

We've encountered a few situations where the cheap actiontec modems don't
respond to oam-pvc manage but would otherwise work fine.  It's unpredictable
and mostly rare.  And we've encountered some other modems that don't respond to
oam at all.  I've got one Chinese adsl modem in a box that says
"A B C D E F G H" which does this :)

The feature has been mostly useful, when a user comes through a remote dslam
that I don't control, I can still see if something responds at all.  But,
given the fact that it randomly breaks with some modems, and that user won't
get service at all because their interface goes in a down state, a manually
initiated oam ping might be more useful for this purpose.

I tried pointing sysmon at a 12.2S box trying to actually monitor DSL users
to see who was up and down after I implemented oam-pvc manage and found that
cisco's SNMP implementation just keels over and stops responding when you
try to monitor 400 elements at once.  The first round of sysmon requests
got proper responses, but the successive rounds were usually 50-75%
"no response."  At least juniper doesn't do this ...  But they use ucd-snmp

raa at opusnet.com [raa at opusnet.com] wrote:
> All.
>
> Does anyone use this with DSL aggregation?  If anyone does, or doesn't for a
> reason I'd love some info.
>
> Thanks.

"The map is not the territory; the word is not the thing defined."