[c-nsp] E/MPLS enabled gear

Graham Wooden graham at oneringnetworks.com
Wed Apr 5 10:01:43 EDT 2006

I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.
This device, what ever it maybe, won't see gigs of bandwidth. My main focus
is to find a device that can backhaul MPLS and do EoMPLS on 10/100 copper
ports.  However, having a few gig ports is nice as well.

There was a few suggestions about using a router and a switch.  Router's IOS
being the E/MPLS 'brains' so-to-speak, dot1q to a switch that will handle
the port density.

Could a 7206VXR with a NPE-1G trunked to a 3560 do the EoMPLS and MPLS
functions?  I know I will be limited to VLAN based EoMPLS opposed to port
based. I would just need to increate the MTU to handle the bigger frames.

The new 6500ME's look nice, but still DC powered =\ .

Thanks again everyone,

-graham