[c-nsp] QoS and split tunneling

Peter Hicks peter.hicks at poggs.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 11:50:48 EDT 2006

Hello

One of my remote sites has a 2651XM, and a 2Mb WAN connection with 1Mb
through the service provider for Internet access.  We connect to them via
a GRE tunnel with IPSec.

They have reported that Citrix sessions are sluggish, and I can put this
down to high CPU on our VPN hub router.  This will be fixed with a VPN
accelerator AIM.

I also want to look at giving Citrix traffic priority over other traffic
(mostly SMB/NetBIOS), as the service provider we use has an uncontended
network and we have control of both endpoints.

Given that the traffic to be prioritised is encapsulated in GRE and IPSec,
what is the best way to implement QoS/queuing/policing etc. to improve
Citrix response?

Best wishes,

Peter.

--