[c-nsp] Cisco 7960 7940 voip phones

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Apr 6 12:43:40 EDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:37:04AM -0700, Brian McMahon wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2006, at 07:51, Cisco Sheep wrote:
>
> > I am running a voip network and it is run without a vlan so when
> > ever I
> > restart my phones it takes forever to get them up and running. Is
> > there
> > any easy way to resolve this problem.
>
> No, because you haven't defined it properly yet.  8-)
>
> What does "takes forever" mean -- how long?  (You *did* make sure to
> configure portfast on the switch access ports, right?)

	Um, I have the same problem, and i'm not using any fancy vlans
or switches, just some fancy linksys switch here ;)

> What does "up and running" mean -- in other words, what part of the
> start process seems to be the hangup?  I don't have one of these
> phones in front of me, but I'm pretty sure they (can be made to)
> display information about what they're doing when they start.

	The problem is it can spend several minutes trying to
'configure vlan', when it's not there.

	Just like there is an upgrade matrix for these phones that
is as complicated (or more complicated) than the juniper cartoon
that makes fun of IOS to get these things loaded with the SIP image.

	Depending on what cisco shipped you, you can either have
the short filename firmware, the bin firmware, the sbn firmware, the sb2
firmware, the loads firmware, and that's just for SIP.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net