[c-nsp] VRF & Hairpin Routing?

Lasher, Donn DLasher at newedgenetworks.com
Thu Apr 6 19:17:55 EDT 2006

The router tends to get a little peeved seeing itself twice.

While you can trick it in some cases, the only way I've found, in a
reliable fashion, to do what you're trying to accomplish, is with
another L3 device, IE router in between. R1 <-> R2 <-> R1

I've taken a 2811, dual-ethernet'd into a 7200, then dot'1'q and ospf
into a VRF to come back in and out. That works solidly.

However, the thing you have to consider, any way you do it, is route
redistribution, leakage, and overall design. Things can start to get
ugly when all the same networks exist in more than 1 VRF and  you route
between them.