[c-nsp] VRF & Hairpin Routing?

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Thu Apr 6 20:43:24 EDT 2006

Lasher, Donn wrote:

> The router tends to get a little peeved seeing itself twice.

Nope, the static arp entries as mentioned by others in this thread
resolves all issues. I believe that this was actualy a ddts and cisco
has fixed it in a not so long ago revision.

> While you can trick it in some cases, the only way I've found, in a
> reliable fashion,

All my below mentioned ways have proven themselves to be very reliable.

> I've taken a 2811, dual-ethernet'd into a 7200, then dot'1'q and ospf
> into a VRF to come back in and out. That works solidly.

Extra gear.

However, if there is something on the 7200 on vrf X that 2811 vrf Y
wants to get to, instead of only having an interconnection on the 2811
to vrf X, also create a connection from 2811 vrf Y to all interesting
destination on vrf X (another vlan).

Of course, this is generaly the unconventional way to communicate
between vrf's. Official support is all about import/export and static
routes that point from global........

> However, the thing you have to consider, any way you do it, is route
> redistribution, leakage, and overall design. Things can start to get
> ugly when all the same networks exist in more than 1 VRF and  you route
> between them.

Yes they certainly do. See above for more ways to complicate things.

Assymetricity is something to watch for, since if you are a managed IP
shop you may also want to offer nat/fw on these interconnection such as
when taking a customer vrf and offering them internet access from it as
well.