[c-nsp] Cisco 7600 TTL and MTU Failures

Palis Michalis security at cytanet.com.cy
Fri Apr 7 03:26:10 EDT 2006

Hello all

Running show mls statistic on a Cisco 7609 I get the follwing output form one of the modules

Errors
  MAC/IP length inconsistencies         : 18
  Short IP packets received             : 0
  IP header checksum errors             : 35
  TTL failures                          : 27831123
  MTU failures                          : 7998775

Is it normal to have so many TTL and MTU failures? What is the true meaning of this failures and how can we troubleshoot in order to minimize them?

Your feedback will be appreciated.