[c-nsp] Bootstrapping issue on sup720/6504

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Fri Apr 7 07:50:39 EDT 2006

All,

I've just taken delivery of a Cisco 6504 & Sup720-3BXL. For some reason, the
sup72 has come with software 12.2(18)SXD4. The 6504 requires a minimum of
12.2(18)SXE. Therefore, it won't boot.

I've got a 512M CF card here, which I've tried formatting on my laptop, and
putting the correct image on it. When I did that, the sup720 wouldn't even
see the card:

rommon 2 > boot disk0:
device does not contain a valid magic number
boot: cannot open "disk0:"
boot: cannot determine first file name on device "disk0:"

I then tried formatting it on an 1800 which I had lying around spare. I got
further this time, but it still wouldn't boot:

rommon 10 > dir disk0:
open: file "c7200-atafslib-m" not found
open(): Open Error = -1
loadprog: error - on file open
cannot load the monitor library "disk0:%c7200-atafslib-m" from device: PCMCIA Disk 0dir: cannot open device "disk0:"

I'm working through my supplier to get a correctly formatted CF, but that's
going to take until after the weekend.

I'd try xmodem, but the sup720 only seems to support 38k4 on the console, so
a 78M IOS image is going to take over 4 hours to transfer, and I don't trust
xmodem to survive that long without crashing.

Any suggestions?

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart | * Sun Server Colocation * ADSL * Domain Registration *
   Director    |    * Domain & Web Hosting * Internet Consultancy *