[c-nsp] dot1q question

Frank Kempermann cisco-nsp at kempermann.de
Sun Apr 9 10:01:48 EDT 2006

I currently have a Cisco 7204 connected with a Catalyst 2924 per trunk. On
another port of the 2924 a 100FETH WAN route is connected. This secondary
location is connected through a trunk and a VLAN (ISL).

I now wanted to exchange the Catalyst 2924 with a 2950, which supports dot1q
only. Besides that the FETH trunk should be exchanged with a GETH trunk in
the 7204.

I tried out many possibilities; using the following ISL-setup with a
7204FETH and a 2924 everything runs fine, but using dot1q it doesn't work,
where could be my error? I cannot reach the respective IP's from the 7204 to
the 3550, which is working when using ISL.

Do I have to do something with the VTP of the two switches? When using ISL
this doesn't matter. Is something missing in the configuration?

I planned the following:

C7204 i/o GE ---trunk---2950GETH----WAN-FETH(Trunk)----C3550-LAN-FETH

C7204

interface Gigabitethernet 0/0.50

encapsulation dot1q 50

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.248

C2950

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport mode trunk

vlan database

vlan 50 name blabla

apply

interface FastEthernet0/23

switchport mode trunk

no ip address

duplex full

speed 100

C3550

interface FastEthernet0/13

description Uplink blabla

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,50,1002-1005

switchport mode trunk

speed 100

duplex full

interface Vlan50