[c-nsp] VIP with no PAs

John Neiberger John.Neiberger at efirstbank.com
Mon Apr 10 09:56:58 EDT 2006

I'm having yet another recurrence of strange VIP problems in our 7513.
This VIP seems to fail every 3-6 months with cache memory parity errors.
This time it only last two months before it started crashing. Anyway, I
opened up another case with TAC and the engineer suggested that I pull
the VIP, remove the port adapters, and reinsert the VIP and then monitor
it for a while. I've always been under the impression that you weren't
supposed to insert a VIP that had no PAs installed.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt but this still worries me a
bit. Does that sound like good or bad advice?

[As a side note, after analyzing the crash files, he really has no idea
what's causing the thing to crash. He also wants me to replace our RSP
to see if that stabilizes the VIP, so I'll be coming in again in the wee
hours tomorrow morning to take care of that.]

Thanks
John