[c-nsp] Auto-RP or Anycast?

Michael Robson Michael.Robson at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Apr 13 08:19:22 EDT 2006

I am about to reconfigure multicast routing for our network to
have 2 rendezvous points on the 2 routers that contain the 2 links
into the network from the WAN. I was after opinions as to whether
people would choose the use of auto-rp or anycast to advertise
the fact that the PIM domain has 2 RPs. If I were to go with
anycast, then would I need to MSDP peer these to RPs together?
If I were to use auto-rp, are there any disadvantages to moving
to PIM sparse-dense mode from sparse mode so that the auto-rp
groups don't have to be statically configured on each router?

Ta

Michael Robson.