[c-nsp] rate limiting newbie question

Erdem Sener erdems at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 06:52:06 EDT 2006

based on commands supported by the ios, you could use 'rate-limit'
command on the interface along with the policy-map as well. (I'm not
sure if this is the best practice, though)

a rate-limit command should look like this:

rate-limit input|output <access-group xxx> bw1 normal_burst
maximum_burst conform-action <action> exceed-action <action>

for numeric values, the algorithm below works fine with almost all ios versions:

normal_burst= (bw1 / 8) * 1.5
maximum_burst = 2 x normal_burst

For <action> options, you can always use '?' for help

HTH