[c-nsp] Assigning VLANs on a per-subnet basis

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Sun Apr 16 07:19:55 EDT 2006

Robert:

I see what you're saying, but I'm trying to avoid what 'bep' already
identified: I don't want every router to look at each MAC address.  If it
did, then each ISP would need Gig-E interfaces on their routers, and that's
mighty $$$.  We're that close to an aggregate peak of over 100 Mbps.  If I
can use the Fujitsu's functionality to drop off traffic based on 802.1Q tags
then the ISPs can retain their Fast Ethernet interfaces.  We'll likely be
the first to upgrade to a Gig-E interface in another 18 to 36 months, but
the others might be years away from that.

Frank