[c-nsp] Assigning VLANs on a per-subnet basis

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Sun Apr 16 09:24:25 EDT 2006

Bruce Pinsky wrote:
> I'm reading between the lines a bit, but I think that he is saying that the
>  Fujitsu has the ability to deliver the tagged packet to the proper ISP
> router based on the .1q tag.  If this is the case, I think it offloads each
> of the ISP routers from having to look at the MAC address to determine if
> they need to accept it or not.

I understand, I guess I'm just spoiled when using the ONS15454 with ML
card and RPR. ;-)

I'd still have to think that the Fuji should have some intelligence to
know what MAC address is behind it on the egress port and know that
traffic on the RPR is for that device or not.  I'm a bit confused why
each ISP's router would have to see everyone elses traffic.  If it was a
straight bridge, then that would be one thing, but RPR is far from just
a straight bridge.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

If you unplug it fast enough, anything is hot swappable!