[c-nsp] Automated configuration backups

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Apr 18 11:24:41 EDT 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Bartosz Piec wrote:

> I would like to do an automated backup of router's configuration. How
> can I do this? Everything that I've found was to use rsh command. Are
> there any other ways? Maybe some tool from Cisco?
>
> I've got Cisco 2821 and want to make backups from Linux box.

There are a number of ways to do this.  One of the more common ways is to
initiate a TFTP transfer of the config to a TFTP server run on your Linux
server.  The transfers would be initiated by a series of SNMP SETs or
scripted commands from from the router's CLI.  Newer IOS versions may
support transfers using SCP, which is preferable since the transfer
session would be encrypted.

One of the more popular configuration management tools is RANCID
(http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/).  I also have a set of scripts I wrote
a while back to do most of the same things.

jms