[c-nsp] Layer 2 failover

andrew2 at one.net andrew2 at one.net
Tue Apr 18 16:57:27 EDT 2006

I've currently got a clustered pair of 3750G's connected via 2 trunked
GBICs.  (They're in separate buildings.)  The GBIC connection is a
critical piece of infrastructure so I'm looking to add some minimal
redundancy in the event of a fiber cut.

I'm considering using an Aironet 1410 bridge setup with line-of-sight
wireless between the buildings and connect the 1410 in each building
into the corresponding 3750.  Layer 2 connectivity is critical here
(there is no layer 3 routing between the switches) so I'm wondering how
to go about causing the wireless connection to only be used in the event
that the GBIC connection is down.

I have two thoughts:

1.  Configure the port connected to the Aironet bridge as the failover
port for the GBIC trunk.  I seem to recall there is a way to do this,
but I can't seem to find any documentation on it.

2.  Some way to do this using STP?  I'm a WAN guy and have traditionally
avoided STP like the plague, but is there a way to accomplish this with
it?

Or am I making this way too hard and there's an even simpler way to do
it?

Thanks,

Andrew