[c-nsp] BGP weight

Paul Cairney lists at cairney.me.uk
Wed Apr 19 17:34:20 EDT 2006

As mentioned, weight is not redistributed however if you only have a single router that is not an issues. What is more commonly used is local preference, which is redistributed to iBGP neighbors.

You can assign localpref using route maps for each peer however assigning any sort of metric to each provider, if one is higher than the other it will always be used unless a more specifc route exists from another peer.

Please see http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/25.shtml for further information on the BGP bestpath selection proccess.

In order to attempt to balance traffic across both links, you need to find some way to differentiate between routes from each provider. One of the simplest ways of doing this would be based on prefix lenght, however for more fine grained control you should ask your upstreams to provide you with bgp communities.

If your upstreams support them, you could use communities to prefer routes received from one of your upstreams transits or to assign a lower preference to prefixes received from a congested peering exchange or a 'budget' transit porvider.

Anyway YMMV depending on your upstreams willingness to provide communities.