[c-nsp] rate limiting newbie question

Fredrik.Jacobsson at enskilda.se Fredrik.Jacobsson at enskilda.se
Thu Apr 20 07:26:25 EDT 2006

Again - thank you for the pointer, Oliver.

I have another question :)

Over this new ethernet-based connection will we tunnel all our traffic in
GRE-tunnels.
It will be ipsec-encrypted using transport mode.
(using "crypto map" instead of "tunnel protection" since we want to use gre
keepalives on ethernet-interfaces)
The policy-map from the earlier discussion will be applied to the physical
interface and we'd do a "qos pre-classify" on the tunnel-interface.

Now...as we dont want our routers to need to do fragmentation we add "ip tcp
adjust-mss" (to handle TCP) and lower the mtu (for UDP) on the
tunnel-interface.

Once apon a few years ago, we did a combo of calculations and tries to find
a good level on mtu and mss-adjust levels.
Sad to say I dont have a clue on how we got the values we're using today..

We're using:
 ip mtu 1422
 ip tcp adjust-mss 1382

I've tried to read up on it on cisco.com but had troubles finding exact
data, for gre and ipsec with transport mode.
For this connection we can get through with (extended pinging df-bit set)
1500 bytes.

How would you set the mtu/mss values? And how did you get there? :)

Many thanks
/Fredrik Jacobsson