[c-nsp] Catalyst 3560 Limitations?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Apr 21 15:29:45 EDT 2006

> I am wondering if anyone knows the limitations of the 3560 regarding VLAN¹s?
> The 3550 would only terminate 128 VLAN¹s locally, although all the marketing
> lit said ³support for 4k VLAN¹s².  I¹m trying to find a document about the
> 3560 that actually shows all the various limitations, whether hardware or
> software based.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean by terminate 128 VLANs locally? The 3550 can definitely
handle more than 128 active VLANs at the same time - we have many 3550s
with more than that. It can't handle more than 128 *spanning tree groups*
which is a very different problem! Per-VLAN spanning tree really doesn't
scale, and you should look into MST/RSTP.

As far as I remember the 3550 supports up to 1024 active VLANs (ie. you
can have that many defined at the same time).

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no