[c-nsp] Assigning VLANs on a per-subnet basis

Brian Johnson bjohnson at drtel.com
Mon Apr 24 10:44:20 EDT 2006

> Why did you swap out the 3750's?  There is a service provider
> version of the
> 3750 in the ME-C3750-24TE-M.  It seems to have the DC power
> and the SFP
> ports we want, but we're still not sure about the horse-power.

When we ordered our 3750s, the SP version was not yet released. We also
ended up needing the 48 ports for our deployment and the 4948 met our
requirements better than the 3750 SP version. I don't think horsepower was
an issue for us. We are fully deployed in several areas and have very low
CPU utilization on the boxes.

> The 4948-S is quite a bit more money but has 10/100/1000
> copper ports that
> the 3750 doesn't have.  We just would never need 48 copper
> points in the hut
> where it will be placed.

We also needed more copper gig ports and the 3750 couldn't deliver on that.