[c-nsp] Sup32 Memory upgrade

Kristian Larsson kristian at juniks.net
Thu Apr 27 08:11:02 EDT 2006

I'm about to upgrade a Sup32 from 256MB to a lot
more. What I've noticed is that there are actually
two memories, one on the MSFC2/RP and one on the
Supervisor board itself. I intend to upgrade both
but out of pure curiosity I wonder what they are
for.

MSFC2 memory stores, BGP information, OSPF, runs
IOS code, holds the RIB.
But what does the memory on the supervisor do
apart from running IOS for the supervisor?

I'll probably go with 512MB for the supervisor and
1GB for the MSFC, is this a wise choice or should
I reconsider?

Regards,
Kristian.