[c-nsp] Multicast Issue

John Neiberger John.Neiberger at efirstbank.com
Thu Apr 27 13:13:54 EDT 2006

>Vijay suggested that I might try using a multicast helper to convert
>the multicast to a broadcast. I haven't tried this yet, but I wonder
>what would happen if I converted the multicast address to the unicast
>address of the server? I think I'll try it both ways just for grins.
>still don't understand why this isn't working as currently configured.
>just got out of a long meeting so now I've got some time to play with
>it.

I just started playing around with multicast helpers. I think this
might be an interesting way to solve this problem but I'm confused about
how to use this feature in this scenario. I have a multicast entering on
one interface that needs to be converted to a broadcast on another
interface. Here's what I've got:

interface Vlan4    <---- this is where the multicast packet enters the
6513
 ip address 10.a.b.c 255.255.255.0
 ip directed-broadcast
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip pim dense-mode
 ip route-cache policy
 ip route-cache flow
 ip cgmp
end

interface Vlan1             <----  This is where I want it to exit
toward the server
 ip address 10.d.e.f 255.255.255.0
 ip directed-broadcast
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip pim dense-mode
 ip multicast helper-map 224.0.1.55 10.1.100.35 AdvantageDB
 ip route-cache flow
 ip igmp static-group 224.0.1.55
 ip cgmp
end

I think I have the right command on Vlan1, but I think I still need
something on Vlan4 that will forward the packet correctly. How about
this:

ip multicast helper-map 224.0.1.55 224.0.1.55 AdvantageDB

That doesn't change the addressing but I have a suspicion that the
command still needs to be there.

What do you think?

Thanks again!
John