[c-nsp] Multicast Issue

John Neiberger John.Neiberger at efirstbank.com
Thu Apr 27 13:34:06 EDT 2006

>interface Vlan1             <----  This is where I want it to exit
>toward the server
> ip address 10.d.e.f 255.255.255.0
> ip directed-broadcast
> no ip proxy-arp
> ip pim dense-mode
> ip multicast helper-map 224.0.1.55 10.1.100.35 AdvantageDB
> ip route-cache flow
> ip igmp static-group 224.0.1.55
> ip cgmp
>end
>
>I think I have the right command on Vlan1, but I think I still need
>something on Vlan4 that will forward the packet correctly. How about
>this:
>
>ip multicast helper-map 224.0.1.55 224.0.1.55 AdvantageDB
>
>That doesn't change the addressing but I have a suspicion that the
>command still needs to be there.

I tried the client connection with only the multicast helper on Vlan1
and it didn't work. I added the other multicast helper to Vlan4 and the
6513 rebooted.  :-)  That's not a good thing to have happen during the
day! Really bad idea on my part. Luckily, I have a redundant Sup in RPR+
mode so it wasn't down long, but it was down long enough to irritate a
whole bunch of people.

Back to the drawing board...

John