[c-nsp] 7200 T1 Aggregator - ~30-40 LSA events/sec. Normal?

Matt Stockdale mstockda at logicworks.net
Thu Apr 27 18:49:32 EDT 2006

My initial investigation with flood debug shows that this router is
receiving this LSA on fa0/0 from both the DR and the BDR, and sending
out about 170 Type 2 Acks back out the same interface to the multicast
ospf address within 5 seconds.

It also shows that the "Advertising Router" from the flooding LSA's just
isn't sending these out - I watched for 2 or 3 minutes and didn't see it
send this. (Which makes sense, the Link the LSA is describing is
stable.)

Since this router has only one ethernet interface, and that
interface/network is the only one OSPF is running on (really for the
sole purpose of advertising the T1 netblocks to the rest of our
network), Why would it be sending out LSA's from another router? In
theory, any update that comes in over fa0/0 is going to every other host
on that network already. I guess my OSPF-fu is a little weak, but that
doesn't seem smart to me..

Matt