[c-nsp] Cisco BFD and NSF

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Tue Aug 1 02:46:03 EDT 2006

On (2006-08-01 09:09 +1000), David J. Hughes wrote:

> As for an RP's ability to detect the failure of a linecard, that's a
> different question in my opinion.   A very important question but
> different none the less.

They also state:
--
BFD may also be implemented in the control engine, though doing so may
preclude the detection of some kinds of failures.

However, the reasoning the Katz/Ward seem to offer, appears to
to be because they consider it's hard to guarantee BFD
enough processing time in control-plane, but rather they seem to
believe, that some kind of failures might go undetected, if BFD would be
ran in same place where routing protocols are ran. Would be interesting
to know, what these failures might be and under what type of situation
we could cover more failure scenarios by moving BFD further away from
routing-protocols.

Thanks,
--
  ++ytti