[c-nsp] Cisco BFD and NSF

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Aug 1 03:07:16 EDT 2006

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Saku Ytti wrote:
> However, the reasoning the Katz/Ward seem to offer, appears to
> to be because they consider it's hard to guarantee BFD
> enough processing time in control-plane, but rather they seem to
> believe, that some kind of failures might go undetected, if BFD would be
> ran in same place where routing protocols are ran. Would be interesting
> to know, what these failures might be and under what type of situation
> we could cover more failure scenarios by moving BFD further away from
> routing-protocols.

If Graceful Restart is enabled, running BFD on forwarding plane can
gain a certain degree of assurance of whether initiating graceful
restart would result in a black hole or not.  E.g., if you peer has a
power loss or crash, liveness messaging or lack thereof on control
plane might still indicate that GR is OK, while on forwarding plane we
get an explicit statement that GR is NOT OK as reachability to the
forwarding plane was lost.

This ambiguity is one reason (AFAICS) why Graceful Restart isn't used
all that much.

As you note, putting BFD solely on the forwarding plane (without any
keepalive on the control plane) could have potential for some nasty
cornercase issues when control and forwarding planes are out of sync
though..