[c-nsp] Net capacity planning

Bob Arthurs bob_arthurs at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 1 05:17:13 EDT 2006

Hi!

I have been asked to put together a doc that describes how capacity planning
should be done on our network, but its not really my area! So, I have a
couple of questions- any help is greatly appreciated...

I need to include specific link, cpu, and memory thresholds for:

* several data centers (so LAN stuff obviously!)

* our backbone network (whole variety of kit and WAN link types)

What sort of thresholds are people using for these (threshold at which to
flag for further attention, threshold at which to upgrade, etc)? I know that
it depends on a number of factors, but any direction would be good.

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of some really good info
(docs/powerpoint presentations/etc) on capacity planning?

Thanks very much in advance,