[c-nsp] MPLS/VPN + Internet Setup - Update

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Fri Aug 4 08:14:21 EDT 2006

On Thursday 03 August 2006 19:36, Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer)
wrote:

> yes, vrf-lite is used for this purpose in several networks I'm
> aware of, so I'd call this still best current practice for
> most applications (maybe not for some very security sensible
> folks who don't trust VRF-lite segmentation on the CE).

Two other questions, Oli:

a) For the VRF-Lite setup, I'd like to use NAT on the CE router,
   so the customer overloads their internal network onto one or
   more public IP addresses assigned to the PE-facing-Internet
   interface. Are there any restrictions in this deployment, as
   most documentation on www.cisco.com suggest NAT-PE.

b) Are there any benefits deploying private IP addresses for
   PE-CE link when setting up the customer VPN's? I'm inclined
   to using public IP addresses for the MPLS/VPN PE-CE links
   (even though they might not see much "public" action), but
   I'd appreciate insight on the general feeling about this.

Cheers,

Mark.