[c-nsp] Strange error with a PA-CT3 4/T1 card

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Aug 9 16:51:01 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael K. Smith" <mksmith at adhost.com>
To: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at toybox.placo.com>; <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:54 AM
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Strange error with a PA-CT3 4/T1 card

> On 8/9/06 8:38 AM, "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at toybox.placo.com> wrote:
>
> > Michael,
> >
> >   This is a masterful explanation that doesen't tell anyone anything
that
> > they
> > don't already know.  You ought to be in politics.
>
> And you should be a diplomat.
> >
> >   Perhaps the Cisco documentation is a giant lie about this working in a
> > 7206 and not a single one of these cards ever manufactured had a Mx
> > hardware version higher than 2.  Perhaps Cisco dropped support for
> > this card in a certain rev of IOS and an older one works.
> >
> You've been hanging out on the Grassy Knoll sites again.
>
> >   Of course, this is a used card.  It's been out of production for
years.
> > Do you suppose this Mx hardware version is printed somewhere on the
> > card?
>
> Given that I often purchase used gear, I ask for information about the
card
> I'm going to purchase from the vendor.  Any vendor worth his salt will be
> able to do a sho controller on the card for sale and tell you the revision
> number.  Caveat Emptor.

And, if you were buying this card, why pray tell would you have asked the
vendor
for this, and if you had asked the vendor, would you have known in advance
that
you needed a newer version number?  How, since this is completely
undocumented?

I highly doubt this since you don't know anything about this
incompatability.

Ted