[c-nsp] Supervisor 32 Compact Flash

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Aug 10 15:21:38 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 09:02:35PM +0200, Peter Salanki wrote:

> I concur, the same applies to control-plane speed, the foundry loads
> a full table in seconds, while on sup720 it is measured in minutes.
> Is it so hard to find a decent processor, just put an socket on the
> sup, and I could by an AMD Opteron for it myself.

It's not that the MSFC3's are "slow" processors, its that the scheduler in
the IOS for them sucks goats. When I can start an oscillating series of
BGP session timeouts that is self-sustaining just by changing a route-map,
clearing a few bgp sessions, and doing a quick wr mem, it is a BAD SIGN. I
was really hoping to be able to use the modular IOS to see if the new
underlying OS improves this, but alas no features supported.

SUP720:
SR71000 CPU at 600Mhz, Implementation 0x504, Rev 1.2, 512KB L2 Cache

Foundry MLX/XMR:
913 MHz Power PC processor  (version 8003/0101) 166 MHz bus

As far as boot speed goes, the seperate SP/RP design and loading a 90MB
file at 1MB/s top speed is certainly not helping.