[c-nsp] Supervisor 32 Compact Flash

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Aug 10 15:22:02 EDT 2006

> I concur, the same applies to control-plane speed, the foundry loads
> a full table in seconds, while on sup720 it is measured in minutes.
> Is it so hard to find a decent processor, just put an socket on the
> sup, and I could by an AMD Opteron for it myself.

Well, most of the existing software is currently for the MIPS
architecture chips (seems that a lot of the chips for earlier
devices came from PMC-Sierra, or the acquired company name QED),
so dropping in an Opteron is not likely to be a good solution :-)

It looks like Cisco is moving to the PowerPC architecture
(Freescale manufactured I think) chips for newer routers
(the NPE-G2 as an example).  I would not be surprised to
see the PowerPC use expanded, and that could mean faster
control-plane speeds.

Gary