[c-nsp] ebgp vs ibgp admin distance

Tony Li tli at tropos.com
Thu Aug 10 19:09:23 EDT 2006

The original implementation was done in an environment where IGP
synchronization was the expected configuration.  In such an environment,
you want EBGP to have a better distance than your IGP, which then needs
to have a better distance than IBGP.  Consider a case where your AS
learns a prefix via multiple entrances and redistributes into your IGP.
You want EBGP to be 'best', so that you learn exits and you don't get
into oscillation between EBGP and the IGP.  You want the IGP to be
better than IBGP so that synchronization works.

Of course, more modern BGP configuration has made this wholly irrelevant
and the snippet below seems like a good starting point.

Tony