[c-nsp] Pix blades - 6509

Mike Butash der.mikus at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 16:44:31 EDT 2006

We stopped OIR'ing anything during the day after a brand new RMA blade
fried our core from what appeared to be a blade that was dropped on the
backplane connector out of box.  Good measure would be to try it in a
lab chassis first, or at least a non-critical piece of infrastructure.

The other thing to watch is the bus-stall pins, which will temporarily
cause a bus stall on the fabric during the OIR on the 6500.  We found
out (the hard way obviously) there are pins in the backplane connector
that sit further out than the others that if you push it in far enough,
but not entirely enough, it will cause an indefinite hang that will
eventually just cause the box to reload entirely if it persists long
enough.  Supposedly they were fixing this in a different rev of chassis
as it proved more problematic than it was worth.  Not sure if this made
it into the "E" chassis' or not, but it is a real concern to NOT be so
gentile/slow with it upon insertion.

-mb