[c-nsp] 7206 Config Help - DSL Aggregration

Joel M Snyder Joel.Snyder at Opus1.COM
Thu Aug 17 13:54:42 EDT 2006

You may or may not be able to urge the Cisco to do what you want, but you'd be
much better off using RADIUS proxying through a smart RADIUS server.  Use a
realm or domain (something like user at domain1 or user at domain2) and send
everything to the same RADIUS server.  Then, that server can make the decision
to proxy it onto any number of different servers.  You'll be more maintainable
in the long-run, and probably more flexible as well, plus have a simpler
debugging path.

The RADIUS server can throw in attributes that will define IP pools to assign
from, which also simplifies things.  Cisco PPP ATM configuration is ugly enough
as it is without making it more complex, I think.  We use 3640s for our DSL
service and anything I can do to pull the config off the Cisco and into another
system seems to increase reliability.  Although, of course, if you have a really
totally studly OSS then you don't care, but that wouldn't be us.

jms
--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494