[c-nsp] Retrieving running config via SNMP

lee.e.rian at census.gov lee.e.rian at census.gov
Fri Aug 18 10:11:25 EDT 2006

Hi,

I've heard good things about rancid, but if you really want to write your
own package the mib you're looking for is CISCO-CONFIG-COPY-MIB.
ccCopySourceFileType lets you specify startup or running config.

If all you're looking for is to be notified that the running config hasn't
been saved, take a look at CISCO-CONFIG-MAN-MIB.  It could be as simple as

  chgTime=`snmpget -Ovqt -m CISCO-CONFIG-MAN-MIB ${DEV}
ccmHistoryRunningLastChanged.0`
  savTime=`snmpget -Ovqt -m CISCO-CONFIG-MAN-MIB ${DEV}
ccmHistoryStartupLastChanged.0`
  if [ $savTime -lt $chgTime ]; then
     printf "%s config needs to be saved\n" ${DEV}
  fi

Regards,
Lee

"Vincent De Keyzer" <vincent at dekeyzer.net> wrote on 08/18/2006 08:04:15 AM:

> Hello,
>
> we had a problem this morning where the config of a customer router had
not
> been saved, and a power outage occurred after which the router rebooted
with
> an older and incorrect config. Shame on us.
>
> What we would like to do now is to write a script that gets running and
> startup configs of each device, diffs them, and sends a warning if
> differences are seen.
>
> We already have a script that gets the running configs via a
SNMP-triggered
> writenet (enterprises.cisco.local.lsystem.writeNet from
OLD-CISCO-SYS-MIB).