[c-nsp] Retrieving running config via SNMP

Cory Ayers cayers at ena.com
Fri Aug 18 10:27:57 EDT 2006

> What we would like to do now is to write a script that gets running
and
> startup configs of each device, diffs them, and sends a warning if
> differences are seen.
>
> We already have a script that gets the running configs via a SNMP-
> triggered
> writenet (enterprises.cisco.local.lsystem.writeNet from OLD-CISCO-SYS-
> MIB).

You can use CISCO-CONFIG-COPY-MIB to copy startup or running
configuration to a tftp server or ftp/rcp in new releases.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a
0080094aa6.shtml
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_
guide09186a00801a75a3.html

You also might want to take a look at Rancid.  It pulls the configs into
a CVS tree and can show you differences between each revision history.
It doesn't send out alarms AFAIK, but you should not be stuck in a
position where you have no backup config.
http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/