[c-nsp] VIP Crashes

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Aug 19 16:15:25 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 02:28:47PM -0400, Chris O'Hair wrote:
> NAME: "Card Slot 3, Bay 0", DESCR: "Dual Port FastEthernet (RJ45)"
> PID: PA-2FE-TX         , VID: Hardware Version : 1.0, Board Revision : B0,
> SN: JAE064006TB

Hooray, one of those.

There is a series of PA-2FE-TX with HW-Rev 1.0 and Board Rev. B0, serial
number starting with JAE... (we have "JAE064006VR") that will just *not
work* if port 1 is seeing more than a little bit of traffic.

In 7200s, the whole router will crash, in a 7500, the VIP will crash.

See the cisco-nsp archives, there is lots of discussion about this in
the list archives - including serial numbers from people that have been
affected by this.

One interesting twist of this is that at least some of these PA-2FE-TX
seem to be non-Cisco-made clones - and that some of the chip programming
was messed up.  So if you have any sort of warranty on this PA (as
opposed to "bought on ebay"), return it to whoever sold it to you.

If it was bought originally from Cisco, or an authorized Cisco partner,
I would be very interested to hear what they have to say about it.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de