[c-nsp] Sup720 image

Phil Rosenthal pr at isprime.com
Sun Aug 20 11:09:08 EDT 2006

On Aug 20, 2006, at 10:35 AM, Robert D. Holtz wrote:

> Cisco already has images > 64mb so they really do need to address
> the issue
> that you speak of.  This also has another interesting side effect:
> You can't
> use TFTP to transfer images > 64Mb ... it bombs out.  You have to
> use FTP.

I transfer my Cisco images with TFTP all the time, there are some
tftp daemons/clients that support >64MB without problems.  (including
the one included with FreeBSD 6, and i think even FreeBSD 4 by default).

Also, Cisco *did* make a solution to the problem of not having enough
space on the sup-bootflash to hold an image.  CF-UPG= will give you a
512MB "sup-bootdisk" (not sup-bootflash), and will have internal
storage up to 512MB.  This is done by putting a SRAM to CF adapter in
the sup-bootflash slot, and then putting a 512MB CF card in that CF
adapter.  You need to update your ROMMON to be able to boot off of this.

If you were keeping track of the bootspeed issue before, the internal
CF is just as slow as the external CF, so the boot times will still
be slow.

--Phil