[c-nsp] Sup720 image

Will Hargrave will at harg.net
Sun Aug 20 11:09:49 EDT 2006

Phil Mayers wrote:

> I can't actually *test* it since the serial console in question is
> actually via a 2511 serial breakout not a real console, but I'm guessing
> it'll be like the *modem on the 2691 - a totally broken red herring, or
> possibly unable to transfer files of the size required for sup720 images?

Cisco standard would be to have the command be accepted but silently
fail giving no error. ;-)

I had a quick look at the XMODEM spec and couldn't see a max size limit;
the block size count is designed to wrap. Of course any modern image
would take so long to transfer it would fail due to demise of the
operator :) Ymodem (-g?) would work better.

> FWIW I had the same experience with a 2691 ages ago - that is, without
> another 2691 it can be nigh-on impossible to recover the image.

Maybe it would be a good SOP to dd the CF image from new boxes so
there's something to recover from should it go wrong.

--
Will